This quick guide demonstrates how NHS emergency care, in particular patient flow through the health and care system, benefits from allied health professionals | NHS Improvement
Bringing the AHP workforce into patient flow planning can improve quality, effectiveness and productivity.
Each section gives a brief overview of the contribution that AHPs have made to deliver safe, effective patient care and flow, followed by case studies which demonstrate how AHPs:
- work in the community keeping people safe and well at home
- ‘front door’ assess, diagnose and treat patients in emergency departments, ambulatory care and assessment units
- support avoidance of hospital admission
- enable early rehabilitation and reducing overnight admissions
- drive ‘Home First’ (discharge to assess) to avoid in-hospital deconditioning of frail, older people.